Monday 26 April 2021

Riding The Rock Machine: British Classic Rock In the Seventies (Cherry Red Records)




























The latest compilation from Cherry Red Records on their Grapefruit Label is this three CD collection of early Rock numbers from the seventies that includes many of the songs and bands that influenced my musical tastes. This was the age of prog Rock and Metal as it grew out of the late sixties music scene. 

This compilation includes so many well known bands from the time such as Uriah Heap, The Spencer Davis group, Medicine Head, Nazareth and many more plus so many bands I don't recall or have heard of including Agnes Strange, Duffy and National Flag. 

I'm sure depending on one's age the memories of this period will differ. My interest in music began whilst in secondary school and listening to the Old Grey Whistle Test and Radio Luxembourg.




In fact this compilation contains one of the three songs that really set the scene for my record buying including In My Own Time by Family the first single I ever purchased after nagging my dad to buy me a record player. Also included in this compilation is God Gave Rock And Roll To You from Argent's fourth album In Deep, whose previous release All Together Now was the first LP I ever got.


The third song which set my musical taste is not appropriate for this collection being from the American Band The Doors which I used to listen out for on the ever fading signal of Radio Luxembourg. 

There's so much variety on this album including tracks from Blackfoot Sue, Roxy Music, Thin Lizzy and others that make this one of the best compilations I picked up for a while which joins an ever growing collection of such releases from Cherry Red Records.

 
 

I also have their New Moons In The Sky and Peephole In My Brain compilations which cover records released on the Prog Rock scene in 1970 & 71 respectively plus Bubblegum Rock Is Here To Stay which covers pop music from 1970 to 73 is also a worthwhile buy.

Available from:  www.cherryred.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment