Tuesday 1 June 2021

Editorial: Retaining an independent voice


 












Photo: By Google

When I moved to opening a new blog I decided to very much focus of the internal conflict within the Labour to fight back against the remaining Corbyn supporting elements and the other entryists that had wrecked the party. Combined with separate and additional posts through Facebook I hoped this would help push back the far/hard left and although I wasn't ready or willing to join the party directly I did take the step of joining an affiliate, the Jewish Labour Movement.

It's clear to me that the fight is far from over and that whilst I am prepared to lend support to those standing with Keir Starmer I am not prepared to so either unconditionally or uncritically. Where I disagree with Starmer or his supporters I will say so. There can be no return to the kind of cultism that came into being with Corbyn.

It's clear to me that even amongst the moderates there is a long way to go. Some of the reactions to the prime Ministers reactions amongst Labour members and supporters I thought I had some common ground with smacks of the same attitudes that I would expect from the not so "kinder, gentler politics" that Corbyn's supporters held.

The abuse and venom that I have seen shows that Labour has a long way to returning to decency and shows why not just the supposed "red wall" fell but why Hartlepool and probably the forthcoming Batley and Spen by-elections proved unfavourable to Labour. despite everything Labour remains behind in the polls.

Some of the comments I have seen range from the hateful tot he ridiculous. One "comrade on a Starmer supporting Facebook page remarked:

"They didn’t need to get married now, it’s disrespectful to the families of the ones we now know didn’t need to die. It’s theatre"

Another mused insanely:

It is so she cannot now be called under oath to go evidence against her husband.

These are from so-called moderate to mainstream Labour supporters and their comments are far from unique or unsupported. Just yet another reason why I can't see the Labour Party even under Starmer as a place for me.

The need to build a modern social democratic party built around realistic politics that can restore at least some decency to British politics has never been greater but although there are some good people in the Labour Party I remain unconvinced that this current generation of members is entirely up to the task. I had high hopes but these as usual remain dashed against by the hate that motivates so many in the party today.

The time has come for me to make my own way in politics or at least political comment. Whilst I will retain my membership of the JLM as one can never say never I have no intention of limiting my views based on any misplaced faith or loyalty to any political tendency. I remain as always a freethinker. 
____________________________________________________

It's also time for some change this blog once more. I have continued to post about music and have prepared one for later tonight. I will also continue to support campaigns run by LabourStart  for free trade unionism around the world along with those run by Free Tibet, Free West Papua & We Believe In Israel. The fight against antisemitism, religious fundamentalism and the gender-fascists will continue.

Additionally I will from time to time just comment on other wider, more general issues that concern me plus more as I see fit. I hope you will join me.

________________________________________

Note: I have added a number of Radio, Record Company and News websites to the sidebar

No comments:

Post a Comment