Wednesday 30 June 2021

What's on the wireless?





















When I was growing up in the sixties and seventies the number of radio stations was as limited as the number of TV channels we were able to watch. I'm old enough to remember the launch of Radio One in 1967 but didn't really take much notice of it util secondary school days when I finally got my very own transistor radio or "tranny" as we called them in those days but has developed a completely different meaning these days I'm told.














Much of what I listened to was this huge old Bush radio that my parents had. It even took time to warm up and generally was only used to listen to comedy programmes like The Navy Lark, The Clitoroe Kid and one that I only really appreciated in later life Around The Horne.

But other than the BBC Home Service (Radio 4), BBC Light Programme and Radio 3 there was limted scope for music lovers, even when Radio One was launched it was the main station as the pirate radio stations were virtually impossible to get where I lived and Radio Luxembourg only broadcast in the evenings and had that annoying habit of fading out.













Even the launch of commercial radio wasn't that exiting as all we really got were commercial versions of Radio One like Capitol Radio in London which I did listen to but not for some years now. It wasn't until the launch of Digital Radio that we really got choice in what we could listen to.

One of the earliest stations I latched onto was Planet Rock which has changed over the years but still a great station and one that kept me entertained whilst paralysed in a hospital bed for several months. Alice Cooper you were a life saver after lights out!









Of course DAB has expanded somewhat and in addition to Planet Rock I've added the revamped and relaunched Radio Caroline to my list of recommended channels. Heck I've even reached the age where I quite happily tune into Boom Radio which is reminiscent in many ways of the old BBC Light service when the mood takes me. Almost a complete circle in listening tastes since childhood!

Point is there are so many, too many radio channels these days and I do tend to only tune in to just a few that now includes Times Radio which has replaced Radio 4 as my main source of news. There is however one radio station that I have dipped in and out of over the year that remains a worthwhile plug and that is the BBC World Service. Excellent station for foreign news and in depth reports.

Now I'm told that there is a new service DAB Plus with many more stations but I will need new equipment to listen to these. At the moment I just cannot afford or be bothered with investing in yet another DAB Radio (I already have two one which also plays CDs) I suppose I can never say never....

No comments:

Post a Comment