Wednesday 2 June 2021

In the news today....












When I was working I had a set routine to get the news. First thing in the morning it would generally be the Today Programme on Radio 4 as I got ready to leave and then would pick up a newspaper, usually The Times at lunchtime (as there was no newsagents on my morning journey) and would generally pick up the Ten O'Clock news on either channel depending on what I had been watching.

Sometimes I would watch either the BBC, ITN or Sky News channels as Freeview arrived but still like dipping into the BBC World Service for international news. At the weekend I would generally pick up papers on both Saturday and Sunday.

Come retirement and all that has gone out the window. Unfortunately ill health means I have disrupted sleeping patterns and no longer go out every day so how I see the news has changed with it. I've stopped listening to the Today programme and given the different hours I potter about tend to choose Times Radio since it launched. Made sense given I was more or less a lifetime reader!

Whilst I still read The Times and make sure I pick up a copy when I do go out and make an effort to get the Saturday edition I have more or less given up on the Sunday papers unless there's an election or something really interesting to read about. I will admit to missing the News of the World a scandal sheet that bemused my girlfriend and I for all the wrong reasons......

As for television broadcasts now that we have a smart TV which gives me access to extra channels such as CNN, Reuters News & Euro News in addition to the extra channels Freeview provides these are worthwhile dipping into occasionally. However no channel has my full attention as they tend to be very repetitive. 

The news that Andrew Neil a journalist and broadcaster I admire is launching a new channel that wil include more than just rolling news and include shows that will give differing opinions and viewpoints does attract my interest. 

I will be watching the channel when it's launched and hope it is what it promises to be in which case I will become a regular viewer. What makes me even more determined to give this project support is the reaction of the so-called left who on Corbyn's mis-titled "Peace and Justice" Facebook Page calling for GB News to be banned as "biased" before it's actually broadcast a word. 

The hypocrisy of these people amazes me since Corbyn and his crew including the leaders of the anti-Western democracy Stop the War Coalition regularly appear on and get paid by press TV the now banned channel which broadcast an interview with a man who was under the supervision of hsi torturers  exposes the bankrupt politics these self-righteous types are.

And don't mention RT, the Russian propaganda channel with the George Galloway show ranting about anything that will gain him attention. Now that's like Fox News!

Thankfully we are lucky to live in the Free World and can get news from a variety of souces and make our our own minds up something the people of Iran and Russia have difficulty in obtaining let alone countries like China and North Korea.

GB News starts broadcasting on Sunday June 13th at 8pm with a special programme. I'll be there with an open mind and will be giving it a fair hearing over the coming weeks. I wish it success.



No comments:

Post a Comment