Thursday 1 July 2021

Musical Influences - Family


























Music is one is a universal form of entertainment that permeates most peoples lives to some extent or another. As anyone who has followed either on this and my previous blog or o Facebook will know that music is very central to my life.

The first songs I remember are from the sixties and particualry from when I got my own transistor radio but it wasn't until the early seventies when I finally persuaded my father to get me a record player and I was able to purchase and listen to my own records and that of my friends (usually albums from their older brothers) that my musical tastes began to form.

The first record that caught my attention and got purchased with my own pocket money was In My Own Time from Family which features the unique and wonderful vocals of Roger Chapman.



This track was on the album Fearless which I did eventually get around to buying but the first LP of theirs I had in my collection was the TV shaped Bandstand which contained the other single that was in and around the charts during those early days.

Family was a "Prog Rock" band that was formed in 1966 and was around until 1973.  The mai members from  the period I started following the band were Roger Chapman (Vocals), Joh "Charlie" Whitney (guitars/keys), Joh "Poli" Palmer (backing vocals, keys flute),  John Whetto (Bass/backing vocals) and Rob Rownsed (Drums). 

















































Family released a total of seven studio albums of which I have five to this day though three have had to be replaced by CD's plus a compilation. The style of their albums does vary a bit and it's difficult to say which is their best though Bandstand and Fearless were the most memorable to me though It's Only A Movie which I just managed to replace is a great album.



Family were mostly known for their albums and live performances, the latter of which attracted the band a bit of a "reputation" shall we say. They did release several singles of which four charted including Strange Band  at No 11, In My Own Time at No 4 and Burlesque at No 11.




Family finally disbanded in 1973 with Roger Chapman & Charlie Whitney going on to form Streetwalkers. They were and and remain one of my favourite bands whose music helped introduce me to the world of Prog Rock. Highly Recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment