Thursday 8 July 2021

Musical Influences - Argent


























I picked up Argent's LP All Together Now on the strength of the single Hold Your Head Up (which reached No 5) and was astounded to find the full length version of the track complete with church organ. This is and has remained one of my all time favourite pieces of music. This was also the very first album I ever purchased.



Argent was founded by Rod Argent formally of the Zombies who recruited lead singer and guitarist Russ Ballard with bassist Jim Rudford and drummer Bob Henrit. The band released it's first album the simply named Argent in 1970 followed by Ring Of Hands in 1971. However chart success didn't come until their third LP All Together Now which reached number 13 in 1972.


























Sadly their follow up album In Deep which contained their famous track God Gave Rock & Roll To You only reached No 49 in 1973. Their subsequent albums the critically acclaimed Nexus and Circus failed to chart.



Russ Ballard departed Argent after Nexus and went on to have a solo career. Argent released two albums with John Verity as lead vocalist in 1975 with Counterpoint being their last. Rod Argent's keys very influenced the sort of music I tended to buy and it was't long before Keith Emerson ad Rick Wakeman came to my attention.

I you are interested in Argent's work I also highly recommend the Zombie's concept album Odyssey & Oracle which I eventually came across in later years having been too young the first time around.


No comments:

Post a Comment