Thursday 29 July 2021

Musical Influences - Rick Wakeman



























It seemed logical after featuring Yes last week to move on to a related favourite that of Rick Wakeman's solo work in the early seventies. I remember watching his excellent performance on The Old Grey Whistle Test which someone has kindly posted on You Tube so I just had to share. I even remember my father being impressed.

This track is Catherine Howard from the 1973 classic album Six Wives of Henry VIII.



The following year Rick released what was probably his most successful solo album Journey To The Centre Of the Earth with orchestra and the voice of Richard Burton. A all-time classic from which I have selected The Forest.




In 1975 The Myths And Legends Of King Arthur And The Knights Of The Round Table was released which reached No 2 in the charts. However I didn't pick another solo album until 1981 with the album 1984.
















As I returned to music in a big way following my retirement I did pick up his first new "Prog Rock" album for some years The Red Planet. But it will always be for his work with Yes ad his early solo work that I will always remember.



No comments:

Post a Comment