Thursday 22 July 2021

Musical Influences - Yes



























It's always difficult to say which is my favourite band or album as I like so many of both and although Prog Rock was the earliest and most permanent influence on my musical tastes in my life times do change and so do tastes but if taken in terms of sheer numbers of albums from the one group there is only one choice for me and that would be Yes.

I have seventeen albums from Yes plus several solo albums from their core members Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman. These are not all studio albums but include two live triple albums and a compilation. Their music has stayed with me throughout my life and with a new album on the horizon there is no sign of my being a fan ever wavering!

The first Yes album I ever got was the excellent Close To The Edge quickly followed by Fragile. 




Both these albums stand up to the test of time ad should appeal to anyone with a serious interest in music. Other albums that I got hold of in my schooldays were Yessongs, Tales Of Topographic Oceans and probably my favourite release of theirs Relayer.

Over the years the makeup of the bad has changed considerably though for me Jon Anderson will always have the signature vocals. I thoroughly recommend his solo album Olias Of Sunhillow another schooldays favourite.



Choosing tracks to post from their early days when the group were at their height is difficult because of their length. In later years the bad like so many of their contemporaries like Genesis did take a more mainstream "pop" orientated direction in the eighties but I remained a fan of their output.


























In 1988 Jon Anderson decided to go back to a more progressive sound and Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman & Howe were born. Their one studio album is well worth adding to your collection.



















And finally to bring everything up to date you can pre-order the new Yes album from tomorrow. Due for release on October 1st!
























No comments:

Post a Comment