Monday 13 September 2021

Hawkwind: Somnia (Cherry Red Records)


























It seems to have become an annual habit to buy a new Hawkwind album at this time of year and this will be my fourth (including the live double) that I've added to my collection over the last four years.  This album was recorded during the lock-down which given the age and vulnerability of the group members (and fans like me!)  meant this was done piecemeal across each others houses. Amazing what you can do with modern technology.

It's not affected the quality of the recording at all and frankly if they hadn't have told us we would never have known. That said the material on this album whilst fairly standard fare for Hawkwind is not as outstanding as their last couple of studio albums. Oh don't get me wrong it's worth listening to but if you haven't bought one of their albums for a while I'd say their last one, Carnivorous is probably a better choice.

There are a total of 13 tracks on one CD and I've chosen the opening track Unsomnia for you to listen to. 



It seems the album is doing better than the record company expected and despite only being released on Friday is already being re-pressed so don't just take my word for it. It's obviously got an appeal.

Available from:  www.cherryred.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment